Warner Family Practice is focused on high-risk disease management, in particular heart attack and stroke prevention. We have been working with leading experts across the country in preventative medicine, cardiology and vascular surgery. This knowledge has led our staff to believe that it is possible to prevent heart attacks and strokes.
Establishing optimal goals for each of our patients rather than accepting standard goals, we believe, will have a dramatic effect on lowering or eliminating the risk of acute coronary death or stroke. Finding the root cause of the disease process and treating any inflammation both on the surface and under the surface of the arterial wall will significantly reduce strokes and heart attacks.
At Warner Family Practice we utilize Carotid Intima-media Thickness (IMT) Ultrasound to interpret the health of the carotid arteries. We look to see if there is thickness or plaque in the arterial wall as well as what type of plaque it is—either hard, calcified or soft plaque. We use the carotid ultrasound as a preventative screening tool as well as a management tool, since we have found heart disease in patients in their early twenties that with early, aggressive treatment can reverse the disease.
In addition, we do various blood tests to evaluate genetics, cholesterol, vitamin D and other inflammation factors that are predictors of heart disease. Below are the outside genetic and genomic labs we use to gain an overall picture of our patient's cardiovascular health.
Cardio DX (Corus CAD Test):
Corus CAD is a gene expression test that provides your current state assessment of the likelihood of obstructive coronary artery disease. CAD is the most common type of heart disease, and is the leading cause of death in the United States for both men and women. For more information please click here.
The VAP Cholesterol Test:
The VAP® (Vertical Auto Profile) Test is the most accurate and comprehensive cholesterol test available today, reporting 15 separate components of blood cholesterol as opposed to four in a standard test. This more comprehensive test can identify a far greater number of lipid abnormalities and is the only cholesterol test to identify markers for Metabolic Syndrome, a precursor for diabetes. The VAP Test will also include Vitamin D testing. For more information please click here.
We also utilize the Bale/Doneen Method (http://www.heartattackzone.com), which is founded on nine elements that necessitate a paradigm shift in cardiovascular disease prevention:
- Education: Delivering patient education regarding the realities of arterial disease sets the foundation for effective prevention. It is essential to have a basic understanding of what happens at the time of a heart attack or stroke. We refer to heart attacks and strokes as 'events'.
- Disease:Finding out who actually has disease (cholesterol build up) in their arteries is very important. This is a prerequisite for an event. Treatment decisions should be based on this information and the disease should be monitored over time.
- Fire:Events are triggered when the disease becomes inflamed (fire). Determining and monitoring the inflammation is extremely critical.
- Roots:Identifying the root cause of arterial disease is an essential step. Without this knowledge the disease smolders until there frequently is another event. Using techniques perfected through the Bale/Doneen Method, we can determine the root causes and halt the disease.
- Optimal:Setting optimal goals for modifying risk factors, rather than goals set by the standard of care, is necessary. The standard of care has legal implications and is adequate to prevent a law suit, but may not be good enough to prevent an 'event'. It is somewhat akin to getting a 'C' versus an 'A' in school. In the business of preventing heart attacks and strokes, we need to strive for A's.
- Genes:Rendering care that is individualized (as opposed to treating people as the average) produces superior results. You cannot get any more personal than your genetic make-up. The Bale/Doneen Method has utilized genetic testing for over a decade. Genetics is the future of medicine and our method stays on the cutting edge of this rapidly evolving field of medicine.
- Individual Management: The above six elements are combined to design a very personalized treatment program. Each patient is regarded as a unique precious individual requiring therapies designed specifically for them.
- Individual Management: The risk factors targeted for management in each patient are monitored. Adjustments are made to strive for optimal control of every treated issue.
- Risk Factor Response: Annual arterial structural testing is performed to insure the therapies are having a positive effect on the atherosclerotic disease process. This, after all, is an extremely important goal to insure our ultimate purpose which is to prevent heart attacks and strokes
With early diagnosis and aggressive management the damage may be reversed, therefore, eradicating a possible heart attack or stroke. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 480-831-8457.